Chapter 1. The Reader of the Books
1. How is Matilda different to other children?
2. What does Matilda do on afternoons when she is left alone at home?
3. What is Matilda’s favourite book from the children’s section of the library?
4. Why does Matilda read so many books, do you think? Give at least two reasons.
5. If you were to recommend a book to Matilda what book would it be? Explain your answer.
6. How are Matilda’s parents different to other parents?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/SpnX9qpeEdBxP8jx2
Chapter 2. Mr Wormwood, the Great Car Dealer
1. Describe Matilda’s house.
2. What does Mr Wormwood do that Matilda thinks is dishonest?
3. What sort of dinners do the family eat?
4. What decisions does Matilda make in bed that night?
5. Do you think Mr Wormwood is clever businessman? Why? Why not?
6. In what ways could Matilda get her parents back for being mean to her? Give three examples.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/2C9nHsH9KKRoQx072
Chapter 3. The Hat and the Superglue
1. How does Matilda get her father’s hat off the peg?
2. What happends when Matilda’s father goes to work?
3. How does the hat effect Matilda’s father sleep?
4. How does Matilda’s father get the hat off?
5. Do you think Matilda’s father deserves what happens to him?
6. If you were Mr Wormwood, how do you think you would handle the situation?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/ttCpXGe1Gzp0qyvA2
Chapter 4. The Ghost
1. What book is Matilda Reading when her father comes home from work?
2. How does Matilda react when her father rips the book up?
3. Where does Matilda get the parrot from?
4. Describe what Matilda does to get revenge on her father.
5. Do you think Matilda’s plan is a good plan? Why? Why not?
6. What do you learn about Matilda’s father in this chapter? Discuss at least two things
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/AQkdsLydw5s2FKq63
Chapter 5. Arithmetic
1. What qualities would Matilda like to see in her parents?
2. What does the phrase “run rings around them” mean?
3. Why does Matilda’s father never sell cars for a round figure?
4. Why does Matilda’s father think she is a cheat?
5. Do you think Matilda is clever to reveal the correct answer to her father? Why? Why not?
6. Would you like to have Matilda as a sister? Why? Why not?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/rXfGKOR6oz4UVNdq2
CHAPTER 6 The Platinum-Blond Man
1. How does Matilda’s father keep his hair looking good?
2. What does Matilda do to her father’s hair oil?
3. How does Mrs Wormwood react to her husband’s new hair?
4. What worries Mr Wormwood more tan the color of his hair?
5. Do you think what Matilda does is a bad thing? Why?/why not?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/UysHEcXTdwGu5izj1
CHAPTER 7 Miss Honey
1. Why is Matilda late starting primary school?
2. Describe Miss Honey
3. What advice does Miss Honey give to her class about Miss Trunchbull?
4. How does Matilda impress Miss Honey?
5. Do you agree with Matilda that all children’s books should be funny? Give a reason for your answer.
6. Do you remember your first day at school? Was it a pleasant experience? Why? Why not?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/rBoMjhCHtuI7Z5pE2
CHAPTER 8 The Trunchbull
1. What kind of clothing does Miss Trunchbull wear?
2. How does Miss Trunchbull know Matilda’s father?
3. What words does Miss Trunchbull use to describe Matilda?
4. Why do you think Miss Trunchbull got the job of headmistress?
5. How do you think Miss Honey feels leaving the office?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/lbfPrVPCWwSnsZIL2
CHAPTER 9 The Parents
1. What does Miss Honey do to help Matilda learn more?
2. Why does Miss Honey visit Matilda’s parents?
3. Why does Matilda’s father think Miss Honey has come over?
4. Why does Matilda’s mother think that looks are more important tan books?
5. Do you think that looks are more important than books? Why? Why not?
6. If you were Miss Honey, would you say or do anything differently to try to make Matilda’s parents understan? Explain what you would have done.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/1WvPemvWNON2lg032
CHAPTER 10 Throwing the Hammer
1. How do Matilda’s Friends know that she is clever?
2. What is ‘The Chokey’?
3. Why is Hortensia put in The Chokey?
4. Why is Miss Trunchbull good at throwing children?
5. Why do you think Miss Trunchbull Works in a school if she does not like children?
6. Who do you think is meaner, Mr Wormwood or Miss Trunchbull? Give a reason for your answer.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/ZMRo4mPCouhaIesB2
CHAPTER 11 Bruce Bogtrotter and the Cake
1. According to Matilda, what is Miss Trunchbull’s secret?
2. What does Bruce Bogtrotter take from Miss Trunchbull?
3. What sort of cake does cook bring out from the kitchen for Bruce Bogtrotter?
4. What does Miss Trunchbull make Bruce Bogtrotter do?
5. How does Miss Trunchbull react to Bruce Bogtrotter’s success?
6. What is the point of Miss Trunchbull’s plan, do you think?
7. What might have happened if Bruce was unable to finish the cake?
8. How do you think Miss Trunchbull feels when he finishes the cake and the children cheer him on?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/bC1zghmVL5sJ76Tg2
CHAPTER 12 Lavender
1. What does Miss Honey prepare her class for?
2. What important job does Lavender offer to do?
3. What is Lavender’s plan to get back at Miss Trunchbull for being a mean headmistress?
4. Do you think Lavender’s plan is a clever one? Why? Why not?
5. What do you think will happen when Miss Trunchbull pours the water?
6. Summarise the events in this chapter.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/xKvks9asitUAmOPn1
CHAPTER 13 The Weekly Test
1. How does Nigel Hicks get Miss Trunchbull’s attention?
2. What does the Word ‘peeved’ mean?
3. How does Miss Honey teach her class to spell long words?
4. Do you think Miss Trunchbull’s way of teaching children is a good way? Why? Why not?
5. Do you think Miss Honey is brave? Explain your answer.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/Y03jRm2TvcLoTg8n1
CHAPTER 14 The First Miracle
1. Why does Lavender feel guilty?
2. What does it mean to ‘see red’?
3. How does the newt get out of the glass?
4. What is the most exciting part of the chapter? Why?
5. Do you think the title of this chapter is a good one? Why?/Why not?
6. How do you think Matilda will use her powers in the future?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/D6QfbEiWjdkjJfPo1
CHAPTER 15 The Second Miracle
1. What does Matilda want to talk to Miss Honey about?
2. How does Matilda shock Miss Honey?
3. How is the ‘miracle’ different to the last one?
4. Why do you think Miss Honey invites Matilda to her home?
5. Does Matilda remind you of any character from other stories? Explain your answer.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/ssa0nJF2wtrAnCxo1
CHAPTER 16 Miss Honey’s Cottage
1. What do Matilda and Miss Honey pass as they walk through the village?
2. Why does Miss Honey want to be cautious about Matilda’s powers?
3. What does Miss Honey teach Matilda on their walk home?
4. How can Matilda tell that Miss Honey is poor?
5. Does anything about Miss Honey surprise you in this chapter? Explain your answer.
6. How do you think Miss Honey and Matilda will test Matilda’s powers?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/je1yoOjVUOovrWLE2
CHAPTER 17 Miss Honey’s Story
1. Why does Miss Honey call Matilda a grown up child?
2. How did Miss Honey come to live with her aunt?
3. What effect did living with her aunt have on Miss Honey?
4. Why is Miss Honey poor?
5. Why do you think Miss Honey tells Matilda her story?
6. Does this chapter change your opinión of Miss Honey? Why?/Why not?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/Fmzwkfmh728o85v43
CHAPTER 18 The Names
1. What does Miss Trunchbull do to Miss Honey in the bath?
2. Why does Matilda want to go home?
3. What promise does Matilda make to Miss Honey?
4. What three questions does Matilda ask Miss Honey?
5. Why do you think Matilda asks those questions?
6. Do you think Miss Honey is worried about what Matilda might do? Give a reason for your answer.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/Rto1A8idQLNlToys2
CHAPTER 19 The Practice
1. Where are Matilda’s family when she returns?
2. What does Matilda first practise her powers on?
3. What could Matilda make happen in her room?
4. Why do you think Matilda spends so much time practising her magic?
5. What do you think Matilda will do to help Miss Honey?
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/l2HXD3Koq2pdijp62
CHAPTER 20 The Third Miracle
1. What does Miss Trunchbull test the class on when she visits on Thursday?
2. What causes Nigel to jump to his feet?
3. What does Matilda do to scare Miss Trunchbull?
4. How do the school staff react to Miss Trunchbull’s collapse?
5. If you were Miss Trunchbull, how do you think you would have reacted to the writing?
6. Do you think anything will chage as a result of Matilda’s miracle? Explain your answer.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/aclfNM6UnZ9GSPm83
CHAPTER 21 A New Home
1. What was left to Miss Honey in the Wall?
2. What changes occur in the school when Miss Trunchbull leaves?
3. Why does Miss Honey think Matilda has lost her powers?
4. What is happening when Matilda returns home?
5. If you were in Miss Honey’s position would you want to look after Matilda? Explain your answer.
6. How do you think Matilda’s life will change when she lives with Miss Honey?
7. Did you like the ending of the novel? Give reasons for your answer.
LINK TO QUESTIONS: https://goo.gl/forms/fEOJdyGhcbUEXBaz2